The Hamakua-Kohala Health Team Cares About You.
Our mission is to promote health and wellness and help our community live good, long lives. So we’re working hard to expand the availability of quality health care in Hamakua and Kohala.
As the national physician shortage continues, hiring qualified clinical staff is challenging, especially in rural areas like ours, but Hamakua-Kohala Health has hired three new doctors, three nurse practitioners and a dentist!
We are Pleased to Introduce:
- Eric Murray, MD; Internists are sometimes called the “doctor’s doctor,” because they often help other doctors solve puzzling diagnostic problems. He treats children and adults. Hamakua-Kohala Health is lucky to have Dr. Murray join us!
- Jocelyn Chang, DO; A Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine, Dr. Chang provides comprehensive primary care to adults.
- Idalee Posa, MD; As a general family doctor, Dr. Posa sees patients of all ages, including children, treats acute and chronic illnesses and provides preventive care and health education.
- Annette Manant, PhD, APRN; Advanced Practice Registered Nurse, Certified Nurse Midwife, Specializing in Women’s Health Care. Annette has been caring for women for 30 years and has helped deliver thousands of babies.
- Amy Peele, Family Nurse Practitioner; Amy provides general primary health care for all life stages. She welcomes new patients into her care, both children and adults.
- Karen Stephenson, Family Nurse Practitioner; Karen also provides primary health care to people of all ages.
- Joseph Coleman, DDS; Dentist at The Amazing Tooth Bus located in Kapa’au. Currently The Amazing Tooth Bus can treat only keikis. The dentist is on-board the bus Mondays and Fridays, and we look forward to adding more days soon.
- Catherine Marquette, FNP, PA-C; Family Planning Nurse Practitioner, Physician Assistant-Certified. After over 20 years of service to Hamakua-Kohala Health, Hawaii Healthcare Hero award-winner Cathy Marquette has taken charge of both clinics’ medical staff as Medical Director and works tirelessly to bring more doctors and nurse practioners to serve our community. For all you do for our patients, congratulations and thank you Cathy.
What We Do
A Nurse Practitioner is an Advanced Practice Registered Nurse (APRN) who has additional education and more responsibilities for administering patient care than a Registered Nurse. They can prescribe medication, examine patients, diagnose illnesses, and provide treatment, much like physicians do. In fact, Nurse Practioners can provide 80-90% of the care that primary care physicians offer, according to a Kaiser Family foundation study.
Physician Assistants (PA) are health care providers who are educated at medical schools and are trained to diagnose and treat illnesses, as well as provide preventative care in partnership with a physician supervisor. The “C” in PA-C indicates that a Physician’s Assistant is certified by the National Commission of Certification of Physician’s Assistants. This certification requires 100 hours of continuing medical education every two years, along with passing a national re-certification exam every six years to maintain that very important “C”.
As members of health care teams, Physician’s Assistants take medical histories, examine and treat patients, make diagnoses, prescribe medications, order and interpret lab work and imaging, refer to specialists, counsel patients and perform minor procedures.
Get the Conversation Started at Your Next Well-Woman Visit
A well-woman visit is a preventive checkup with your healthcare doctor or nurse practioner. It’s a time to check-in on how you’re doing, how you’d like to be doing, and what changes you can make to reach your health goals.
Women’s Health Services Include:
- FREE and CONFIDENTIAL Family Planning Testing and Counseling and Exams for Adults and Teens
- Well-Women Physicals include a breast exam, pelvic exam and a PAP test
- New Prenatal Care Program – specialized health care services including health screening, risk assessment and education to prevent or treat pregnancy complications, and referrals for additional services.
- State-of-the-Art Ultrasound Services – Patients will have access to early pregnancy dating
- Low cost or FREE Birth Control and FREE Emergency Contraception
- STD and HIV Testing, Counseling and Treatment
- Breast and Cervical Cancer Control Program (BCCCP) – Getting your well-woman exam is the key to prevention and early detection of cancer. Hamakua-Kohala Health offers free cervical cancer screenings with a PAP test and free breast cancer screening with exam and mammogram
- Behavioral Health Services – Client-Centered Treatment is healing the whole individual; physically, emotionally and spiritually by integrating primary care and behavioral health. Including: postpartum depression, parenting skills and relationship support, marital and family communication problems, significant life changes or disruptions, physical health maintenance and a substance use disorder cessation counseling program
- National Diabetes Prevention Program with Lifestyle Coach – Jennifer Valera. Nine out of 10 people have prediabetes and don’t even know it, and around 30% of those with prediabetes will develop diabetes within five years unless they make some lifestyle changes. Over the last 18 months, program participants have lost a combined weight of nearly 500 pounds! New classes are forming now. Call Jennifer today at 930–0746 for more information and to sign–up for new classes.
- Medfusion Patient Portal – Using the latest technology, patients can make appointments, view laboratory results, and view medical records over the internet from their home or on the go. Better electronic heath records lead to better patient care. To learn more about the new Medfusion Patient Portal ask to sign–up at either health center or click here.
Always Accepting New Patients
Many of our friends and neighbors face barriers to health care, so as a community-based health center, Hamakua-Kohala Health provides comprehensive primary and preventative healthcare to everyone, regardless of your ability to pay, even if you have no insurance. We also take Quest children’s insurance and provide pediatric care. Bring your whole family, we provide services for all life stages.
Because we always accept new patients, are continually hiring new doctors, nurses and support staff, we have outgrown the space at our clinics. Hamakua-Kohala Health needs funds to rebuild them as well as cover the increasing costs of daily operations.
MOST HEALTH INSURANCE PLANS COVER LIFESAVING PREVENTATIVE TESTS. USE THE HEALTH BENEFITS YOU ARE ALREADY PAYING FOR OR ARE ENTITLED TO AND GET SCREENED! CALL TODAY. If you do not have insurance, come get screened anyway. Our doors are always open.
Call today to set up your Well-Woman Exam at either clinic:
Honoka’a: 45-549 Plumeria St – 775-7204
Kapa’au: 53-3925 Akoni Pule Hwy – 889-6236