A vital component of the services provided at Hamakua-Kohala Health clinics include our Care Coordination team and the Patient Education Program. Providing a safe environment through private counseling sessions and support groups, we help patients learn how to “heal the whole person” and improve their quality of life by reducing chronic disease risk factors.
MOST HEALTH INSURANCE PLANS COVER LIFESAVING PREVENTATIVE TESTS. USE THE HEALTH BENEFITS YOU ARE ALREADY PAYING FOR TO GET SCREENED! As a community-based health center, Hamakua-Kohala Health provides comprehensive primary and preventative healthcare to persons of all ages, regardless of their ability to pay or health insurance status.
Contact us today!
Provider referrals or self-referrals accepted
HKH Patient Education Office
Hours in Honoka’a: Monday – Friday; 8:00 am – 5:00 pm
Hours in Kohala: 2nd & 4th Wednesdays of the month
Our Services include:
- Diet counseling – for weight loss and chronic disease management (high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes and gout)
- Medication management & counseling: purpose, dose/time, storage
- Smoking Cessation counseling and treatment
- Anonymous HIV testing/counseling
- Coordination of care with Kohala Home Health for home-bound patients who require skilled nursing, physical therapy, occupational therapy, and social services.
- Coordination of care with North Hawaii Hospice providing symptom management and end of life support for the patient, family, and long term care team
- Diabetes Education Program – Self-management education is an essential component of diabetes treatment. We teach self-care skills that promote better day-to-day management and help to reduce acute and chronic complications and hospitalizations. The education program covers topics such as diabetes disease process, nutrition, physical activity, medications, blood sugar monitoring, preventing, detecting and treating complications, goal setting, problem solving and stress management. Includes counseling for pre-diabetes to prevent or delay diagnosis of diabetes.
- Asthma education – Asthma is a major public health problem in Hawai’i, and although the disease cannot be cured, most people with asthma can control it so that they have fewer symptoms and can live healthy, active lives. Our goal is to provide education on simple actions people can take to have asthma diagnosed, treated and controlled. These include: helping patients understand asthma; explaining what to do in an asthma attack; helping patients understand what triggers their asthma; teaching dust mite control; demonstrating and providing peak flow meters for asthma management; and teaching patients how to properly use inhalers, spacers and nebulizer machines.